Wednesday

First Grade

Black Composition Book dated 1991-1992

Inside cover: Pages of stickers.

9/5/91
Dear Mrs. Drinker,
Here is a prayer that we say in the morning. If you like, you could try saying with Danny at night. Point to the body parts as you say:

I have two eyes to see God with,
I have two ears to hear God with,
I have two feet to walk God’s way,
And one big heart to love God every day.

9/6 Dear Mrs. Kaiser,
Thank you for the prayer. Also, we call Daniel – “Daniel, Dan, or Dano”. Thanks
DD

9/6 Thank you – I called him by all three today… even Dano! He had a great week. Lunch starts on Mon. Enjoy your weekend!

9/9 Dear Mrs. Kaiser,
We do not qualify for the lunch program so let me know the cost. Thanks. DD

9/9 Lunch is $6.00 per week.

9/10 Thanks for the tissues. Gym begins this Thursday. Children wear their gym clothes to school. Thanks.

9/11 Dan had an accident (BM) this morning. I washed his clothes during th day. It happened @ 8:45-9:00. Thanks, Mrs. K

Fri 9/11 Sorry about the mess the other day. It is very unusual for Daniel. I sent a cange of clothes in his school bag to keep at school just in case it is necessary. Thanks. DD

9/13 No problem. Thanks for the extras. Mrs. K.
Have a restful weekend!

9/20 See you Sunday!

9/23 So sorry we missed you. We went to the Down Syndrome Convention in Boston.

9/23 Hope you enjoyed it. See you Thursday!

9/27 Thank you for the note… we all need affirmation and assurance at times. Daniel had a good day. His eye was a bit red. Hope it’s alright. Enjoy the weeend.

9/30 Are the stickers on the inside front of the copybook for general good performance or something specific? Also, if you see drainage from Daniel’s left ear don’t worry. His tube is messed up but he has been on ear drops and an oral antibiotic. You will probably have to wipe the drainage around his ear (on the outside) if it is dripping. Any problems, please call me. Thanks. DD

9/30 The stickers are for general good performances. His ear did drain a bit… hope everything is OK.

10/1 There is a library book is Dan’s schoolbag. Please return it by next Monday.

10/2 Student of the month! Congratulations! (BIG SMILEY FACE)

10/7 Daniel will not be in school tomorrow. He has an appointment with his ENT Dr. Also dp you have a schedule of what Daniel does each day? I like to know what his day consists of and it helps him learn the days of the week by association. I know his speech, gym, and mass days. Thanks. DD

10/8

Mon – Music Therapy at 9:45-10:30 (Miss Lynn)
Tues – Library – they go to the library in skills center.
Wed – Mass
Thurs – Gym
Friday- We generally use the computer on Friday.

AM’s – Reading and Math
PM’s – Language lesson every day, (art, gross or fine motor on alternate days)

10/10 Thank you so much for the schedule of Dan’s day. DD

10/10 Daniel had an athsma attack on Monday after getting off of the bus. Did he have any difficulty breathing during or could you hear him wheezing during the day? If there are any concerns, call me. I have sent a bottle of his medicine (Ventolin) and a spoon in school bag. Would you please give it to im around 12 noon? He gets 1 tsp. If there is any problem with this call me. DD

10/10 Dan showed no difficulty on Monday. I’m glad he is better. I gave him the medicine.

10/11 A little “hacking” in the A.M. Fine the rest of the day.

10/16 Dan was in the procession as at Mass… very reverent. (Smiley Face)

10/18 It’s hard for me to believe but Dan took @ 4-5 and put them one by one in a mud puddle in the schoolyard. The children took ther jackets off due to the warmth. Sr. Francis was in the yard and he he was chastised by both of us.

10/21 Daniel pushed Shannon as we were walking to the schoolyard today. I wll call you tonight. This is unusual behavior for Dan. Sr. Francis spoke to me of her call to you. If you would like to discuss it further, please call. Hopefully with all of us on Dan it will calm down. Thanks – 739-5961

10/22 We spoke very firmly with Daniel on Fri regarding the jackets. He seemed to think it was funny and we talked to him about the repercussions of his actions. Today we spoke again with him about his aggressive behavior. WE told him we do not approve and that we expect it to stop. I would not feel comfortable punishing him at home for something that occurs during school hours earlier. I support you in a plan to punish Daniel at school, appropriately. I appreciate you informing me of this because as well as being interested I think it helps for us to talk to him about it. Please keep me informed. Thanks. DD

10/22 Dan was much better today. Thank you for your cooperation.

10/23 Daniel was unusually cooperative after school yesterday. I can’t figure him out! DD

10/23 Lets just accept it! He really has been a puzzle. Dan seemed very sluggish – laid down in schoolyard on his jacket – came back and laid down (as though to nap) when he came back. Hope he’s not getting sick.

10/24 If it gets warm late ask Daniel to take his sweat shirt off – he has the gym tee shirt on underneath. Also, he may not need the jacket on to come home in. Thanks. DD

10/24 It never got that warm. Thanks.

10/28 P.L.S.C. had a “haunted house” for us this P.M.

10/29 Thanks for the plates.

10/30 Daniel says he is going to listen better today (La La!). He wanted to wear a tie today – (his brother’s uniform has a tie) is this OK? I didn’t think it was part of the OLC uniform anymore but I thought you wouldn’t mind. Also, am I allowed to come in tomorrow for the Halloween party? If so, what time should I come? And, may I bring Daniel’s brother and sister? DD

10/30 Dan gave it a good try today. The tie is fine. I know how important it is to “fit in with the crowd” (I have 2 teenagers). We’d love to have you come for the party. We’ll start about 12:45. Please feel free to bring your other children. Thanks.

10/31 Party went well. Thanks for the treats. Happy Halloween.

11/4 1/2 day tomorrow!

11/6 He saw and heard a string trio (cello, violin, viol) today. Very enjoyable.

11/7 Congratulations. Dan sold a 2-10 winner!

10/13 There is a hat in Daniel’s school bag – is it anyone’s at school? It appeared at home and I’m not sure where it came from. Thanks. DD

11/13 Thank you. We found the owner. Agnes Kaiser.

11/18 Dan’s behavior has really improved. Thanks for your cooperation.

11/20 Please tell me a little about the “milk bottles”. Dan gave them to me today. Thanks.

11/21 I am not sure about the milk bottles. Dan often wants to bring something from home to school. His brother William is in kindergarten and they have “show and tell” once a week. I think he got the idea from that. Would you prefer he not bring anything in his school bag? Also, I have sent two containers of chocolate milk. Daniel has always had swallowing problems (much improved through the years) and still can not take consecutive sips. He takes one stops, to accommodate swallowing and then begins again. Anyway, Robin is going to evaluate this during speech today. I sent two so Terri Lynn can have one too. If you could refrigerate them and send to speech I would appreciate it. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks. DD.

11/22 There is no problem with sending things in… I just want to be sure Dan gets them back. No inconvenience at all! Thank you. Agnes K.

11/26 Room 2 made pumpkin pies today. We are preparing and serving a turkey dinner lunch tomorrow. Enjoy your turkey day!

12/2 1/2 day for faculty mtg. Tomorrow.

12/4 Dan tripped and hit his chin/neck on the chair. I sprayed with antiseptic. He seemed fine. Thanks.

12/4 Could you please let me know if you are attending either or both of the Christmas parties? Thanks. Parents most welcome!

12/5 Daniel’s brother William is sick and will probably have to be hospitalized (this will be his 20th admission in the 5 years of his life!). Daniel gets very sad and out of sorts as William is getting a lot of attention and care during illness. I just wanted you to be aware of this for Daniel’s sake. Thanks. Also, I didn’t check about parties until I know more about William’s situation.

12/5 I am sorry toh ear of William’s illness. I certainly hope God give you the strength for all your concerns. You definitely have your hands full! Dan has been fine. Forget about the parties… you have enough to worry about. If I can help in any way, (babysitting etc) please let me know.

12/6 Thank you for your concern and kind words. I really appreciate you offering to help us (Dan would absolutely love that!) but as of now William is still managing at home. We are very encouraged because he has never been able to stay at home, sick for this amount of time. Also, thanks for being understanding about the party. Daniel will be able to go regardless of William. Thanks. Dan came home yesterday with only one glove. Could you check at school? I put the one in his school bag so you know what to look for.

12/6 Dan’s glove is in his schoolbag. I’m glad William is able to stay with you. My offer stands whenever you need it. Mrs. K

12/9 Thanks for your support. William is much better and we are grateful and relieved. Dan told us he had a wonderful time at the party. Thanks. DD

12/10 I’m glad William has improved.

12/10 Daniel will NOT be going to the party at Palumbo’s on Sat. I hope this is not too late to change the plans. We are planning a trip to cut down a Christmas tree and we don’t want Daniel to miss it. Also, Dano and I are doing Christmas cards for school. Would you write down the names of the two new students that are in your room (not Jimmy Barr- I got him). Thanks. DD

12/11 Ayanna McDaniel and Glarisha Castro. Thank you for the picture and the kind words on the back… both are gifts! Thanks again.

12/13 Daniel has been up since 5:30 a.m. and getting into quite a bit of trouble. I told him he better simmer down and “listen” and that I expect a happy face in his copybook today. I hope he behaves for you. Have fun! DD

12/16 Daniel had an accident in the p.m. His pants are in his schoolbag.

12/17 Our class is praying together for Stephen’s recovery. His condition is quite serious but we are still hoping for the best. We will keep you informed of his progress. We ask your prayers for him and for his mom and dad.

12/19 Sweatshirt is gift from the auxiliary. Saw Santa today!

12/20 Carole and I wish you and your family a happy, healthy Christmas! Enjoy. Agnes Kaiser.

1/2/92 Happy New Year and welcome back! The brown gloves in Daniels school bag are not his. DD

1/2/92 Thank you for your holiday wish… the same to you and your family. The gloves are a mystery to us also. Stephen will be returning to school on Monday.

1/6/92 1/2 day tomorrow. Rm. 2 is off on Wednesday. Stephen’s return has been delayed until next Monday.

1/15 Stephen came back today and all were very excited! Will keep you informed of progress. Thanks. Dan was much better today at listening.

1/21 Daniel left navy blue mittens at school on Fri. Would you see if they are there. Thanks. Also, I hope he has been a good listener today – he has been a piece of work at home! Unfortunately at six years of age, Daniel’s favorite word is still “No”.

1/21 Mittens are with him. Dan does love to disagree. Let’s hope we can work together to change it. Good today. No school for Rm. 2 tomorrow. Thanks

1/23 Listening a problem again today.

1/24 Daniel continues to test me (us) at home, too. We are really trying hard to follow through and be consistent.

1/24 I appreciate your cooperation and know you follow through and that really is a help. With both working, we are bound to win!!! …right? Thanks… enjoy your weekend. AK

1/27 Happy Monday! Daniel went sledding yesterday with his brother William, cousin Paul, his uncle Jim and his dad. He would probably like to talk about it. Have a nice day. DD

1/27 Thanks! Dan told me all about his sledding! Mentioned every name! Better today.

1/28 Daniel picked his own outfit for today! He was up at 6 a.m. and dressed before he I was out of bed. I explained that he had to wear a uniform but he was so proud I decided he could wear what he chose for today. I hope it is OK. DD

1/28 He looked great. He insisted that I notice his outfit. He problem. Thanks

2/3 1/2 Day tomorrow.

2/6 Dan had an accident @ 1:45 p.m. We put Stephens sweats on him. I’m sorry I didn’t have time to wash out clothes – too late in the day. Thanks.

2/7 Agnes and/or Carol,
Sorry about Daniel having an accident. I am partially responsible. When we were at the doctor’s he told me he had to go and I asked him to wait until after the Dr. saw him. Unfortunately I forgot and he obviously didn’t remind me. I did apologize to him but told him that it would have been better if he told one of you he had to use the bathroom. Thanks for your help. Stephen’s clothes are in bag. DD

2/7 It was no problem. Accidents happen.

2/12 No school tomorrow. Retreat day for faculty.

2/20 Enclosed is a copy of Daniel’s Progress Report. There are some minor inconsistencies with Daniel’s work at home and at school. I wanted to share them with you for your information at school. I made notations in red. (I hope you don’t mind). Overall we were pleased with Daniel’s progress at school. We are proud of him for his accomplishments and grateful to you for your perseverance and instructions. DD P.S. We still are not happy with his behavior at home!

2/20 Thank you for the information. I never mind. We are both interested in Daniel’s growth and sharing should be helpful. I am happy to see you are developing skills in address and birthday. These skills need constant repetition to be mastered. Dan has been a bit better at school, he doesn’t like “time out”. Thanks again. Agnes.

2/21 The very tiny red spots on Daniel’s face are from crying (screaming) at the dentists last night. It is not a rash. It is called peticheai- ruptured blood vessels (from crying so hard) and will resolve on its own. DD

2/21 I hope it his is last visit for a while. Thanks.

2/24 What do you do for “time out” at school? How does Dan react to it? At home he has to sit on a chair in the dining room or go sit on his bed. Lately, he gets very angry – throwing toys, saying “rip” while he tries to rip rip a toy; banging and screaming. It is a very different and new behavior for him and I wonder if he does this at school (or any of the other students). I’ve told him we will not tolerate this behavior and he must still sit on the chair (or whatever) but it does concern me. DD

2/24 Daniel sits quietly and is very sullen while having ‘time out”. I have not seen Dan exhibit this behavior in school. None of the other children react that way. All react about the same. They are all sitting quietly, at time out I told Dan was told of this other behavior. He was very quiet. I hope it changes for you. Try to put him where no toys are available and ignore him.

2/27 Diane, Any info on the Toys “R” us bag? Thanks, Agnes.

2/27 Daniel often asks to bring “Show and Tell” to school. I don’t know if this is an exercise you want to promote. I have told him (up until now) he may bring in one show and tell per week. I don’t know if you are doing this yet and if he gets a chance to actually show and tell with the other children. Anyway, he chose to bring what is in the Toys “R” Us bag (he even went into the shed and got the bag himself) for school. He told me he had to “put it away” he was sad. He is a good actor! Let me know about this Show n Tell idea. I’ms ending in school shirts of Daniel’s that he has outgrown. Would you please give them to whoever takes care of used clothes for other children to use. Also, Daniel is very proud of himself and has worked hard (so he tells us) for all those happy faces in the copybook. He thinks he is student of the Month! Anyway, we have really been praising him and we went out to dinner last night – a diner – his request. I’m sorry for writing you a long book!

3/3 If Dan would like to bring something in once in a while, that’s fine. We will “show and tell” in a.m. while waiting for all bus groups to come in. Thanks.

3/4 Painted shamrocks and leprechauns today.

3/6 Show on Sunday. Bring Dan right to Rm 2.

3/9 The show was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed it and were very proud of Daniel and all the children. You did a great job and we are grateful for your work to make the show such a success. My husband took the check book to work with him – I’ll send a check for lunch tomorrow. Thanks.

3/9 They really were great! My family was there to enjoy it also. Thanks for the kind words Dan and class watched a tape of the show this p.m. Agnes

3/13 Dan had a good day. No problems.

3/16 Daniel has no school on Wed 3/18 and Thurs 3/19. Testing Day.

3/31 I am returning underpants that Daniel needed while at school. They are in the plastic bag. Thanks. DD

4/1 Daniel’s brother William is sick again and will probably be going to the hospital today. Please pray for him at mass today. Thanks. DD

4/1 I hope William is doing better. We did pray for him today. Please keep us informed. AK

4/2 Thank you for the prayers for William. Remarkably, he is starting to get better and we are grateful for this. Daniel went to bed late (9pm) and was up and dressed at 3:45 a.m. I hope he stays awake for you!

4/6 The books are from Krista from her Birthday.

4/7 Glad to hear William is getting better. We’ll keep praying.

4/9 I’m glad you had a good time. That was a nice opportunity for Dan.

4/13 We hope you and Carol have a happy and blessed Easter. Enjoy the break from school! Thanks!

4/13 Thank you for the wishes and for the treats. We “painted” our faces to be bunny rabbits. It will come off with cold cream. Carole and I wish you and your family a very joyous Easter holiday.

4/22 Welcome back! We had a wonderful Easter and break from the routine. If you have time would you please give out the invitations in Daniel’s folder. Thank you very much. Have a good day.

4/22 Thanks… I enjoyed the time. He gave the invitations out.

4/23 Daniel missed gym today due to his behavior. He hid behind the shelves and would not come when I called (MANY times). I don’t know if it makde a difference but he was very quiet during his time-out. We went outside at recess/lunch so he did get his exercise.

4/24 Thank you for filling me in on Dan’s day. I hope today is better.

4/25 Dan and his friend, when told to return older kids soccer balls in the yard, threw them over the fence into the house yards. Dan is really testing these last few days. Lets hope we calm down a bit after the weekend. Thanks.

4/28 Daniel has been having many difficult times at home too. We have been spending most of our spare time on moving (we found a house in Plymouth Township) and we have been going to the area a lot. Daniel has not been happy about this. He told us he is scared and wanted to know if King Kong was there. We reassured him that we will all be together and help each other. I feel bad that he is having a hard time but at the same time I’m pleased he is sensitive to some of the change that will take place. Also, today he is “happy” about moving – we gave him a pep talk last night about it. Would you please send the present in the bag home with Terry Lynn? Thanks.

4/28 I’m sorry to hear that you will be leaving us, but am happy that you found a good school for Dan (Robin told me). I’m sure the change is the cause of a little confusion for Dan. I will try to keep this in mind when dealing with Dan in school. Good Luck. Agnes

4/30 We are scared ourselves about moving so it is no wonder Dan is, too. Thanks for your kind words. Also, we are worried about Daniel in “Public” school (if you can call Gladwyne-public) but we feel it is an opportunity for him to flourish and begin to experience some of the advantages and disadvantages of being in school with normal kids. I know this is best for him but nonetheless I am terrified for him. Let me know how he is doing at schoool. Thanks

4/30 Dan will fit well into an integrated situation… I’m sure he will adjust. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family. Thanks for the continued update.

5/4 Dan was thrilled with the mousse in his hair… just like Dad.

5/5 We’ve tried for about 3 years to part his hair – mousse, gel, hair spray, it just doesn’t want to stay. Thanks for noticing.

5/6/92 Dan came in with this dolloar. Student of the Month.

5/12 Very rough, uncooperative today.

5/13 I’m sorry Daniel was difficult yesterday. I wish I had an answer. He has been very moody at home. He gets into a certain attitude (being uncooperative) and won’t budge. It is very trying. We try to ignore that behavior as much as possible and he seems to come out of it on his own. The more you try to coerce him into changing his mind or doing something he doesn’t want to do, he just gets worse. I don’t mean to let him do whatever he wants and get away with this behavior but sometimes quiet time and ignoring works for him. If you have any inut or advice let me know. He turned 7 on Saturday and we still call him “Mr. No”. That is his most frequently used word!

5/13 I know how stubborn Dan can be! He gets time-out when this behavior is exhibited. Thanks for the info—its good for us to be consistent. Thanks again!

5/14 Daniel is bringing his Woosh (Frisbee) in to show mike and see if they can use it for gym today. It is a lot of fun. Also, I didn’t send his speech book—Dan told me Robin is on vacation?!

5/14 Mike was not in today. Maybe we can get it another day. Robin is on vacation for another week. I’ll let you know about our trip. Also, please check blue OLC jacket. Stephen’s is missing—it had a tear under the arm sleeve. Thanks.

5/15 We’d love to have you! Thanks

5/19 We have one blue OLC jacket at home. It does not have a tear and Dan’s name is printed on it. I hope they find it. Have a nice day.

5/19 Thanks, we found it.

5/22 Yes, you may bring William and Emily. Dan showed me a picture we are assuming is your new home. It’s BEAUTIFUL! Best of luck. Agnes. Hope you don’t mind but Dan invited us all to move in with him!

5/27 Dan tripped in the yard today, hence the fat lip! We put ice on it and he seemed fine afterwards. Thanks.

6/1 There is a wonderful show on Ch 12 that Daniel (William and Emily) love. Daniel has a tape – “Barney and Friends: A Day at the Beach) and he would like to bring it in for everyone to see. If you are interested and it fits into the schedule let me know and Dan will bring it in. It is about 45 min. Thanks. I’ll see you tomorrow.

6/1 We would love to see it. These last two weeks are very long for the children and the teachers. Thanks! See you tomorrow?

6/9 IEP is in schoolbag. If there are any questions, please call. If I am not home, I will get back to you. I enjoyed working with you and Dan this year. I wish you all the best in your new house and school. Agnes

6/11 He had a great last day. Hope all the Drinkers enjoy the summer!

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting read! Thank you for taking the time to type all that out. It sounds like Dan was in a very supportive school his first year. I am happy to hear he was able to attend a Catholic School- it seems nowadays they do not accept SN kids because they do not have the resources for them. It is obvious that Dan's teacher cared for him and worked hard to help him meet his goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great resourse. My little one will start preschool next fall. This notebook idea sounds like a great way to stay connected on a daily basis. Thank you for doing this, it is helpful to see the issues encountered at specific ages and situations and how they were delt with. Your mother sounds as though she always knew what to do! I can only hope to have such level headed responses to my little guys issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful of you to type all this out. My son Tristan will begin kindergarten and Inclusion in the fall. He has been going to a Preschool through EI with other children with developmental delays since he was 18 months. I am really nervous about Inclusion and am not sure how it's all going to go. I have concerns about my daughter and how it is going to effect her having her little brother in the same school. This is an awesome thing for you to do. I giggled at the "Mr No" part. I have a little Mr No here and that is what I often call him too funny.

    ReplyDelete